Wednesday 7 November 2018

Armistice countdown: 'We're better hearted now things are happening'

Private Tom Fake with his wife Charlotte
and their young son Tommy
As the Centenary of the WW1 Armistice approaches, I'm posting extracts from letters written in November 1918 by Private Tom Fake to his wife Charlotte back home in Bristol.

Tom had been in France since the end of 1916, serving with the Rifle Brigade, and wrote home regularly throughout the war. His letters could be both amusing and touching, and I used many in my book Letters from the Trenches.

The letter he wrote on 5th November 1918 opens - as always - with a discussion of letters he has written and received, including one from is brother-in-law Ern. Tom then talks sadly of an uncle at home who is gravely ill: "I am so sorry to hear about Uncle, he would be better off now, if the Lord took him."

We then get a taste of how things are at the Western Front. With the Germans falling back, there is a certain amount of optimism among the troops. But confusion about exactly what is happening means that nothing is certain. 

"I am getting along alright and I am glad to be able to tell you we are moving back from the line, and I hope it is for the last time. Turkey has given in, but I don't know if it is right about Austria, any rate it is not official out here yet."

Tom tells Charlotte he expects to be home on leave soon and hopes the war will be over before he must return. But despite growing excitement at home the tone of his letter is weary:

"I hope to have been home on leave before we go in the line again and then I should like to think, it was to be over by then. Yes I expect there is much excitement over the news, and we're better hearted out here now that things are happening, as they are."

Tom returns briefly to domestic affairs, including the whereabouts of his camera stand, before getting back to the war: "Well I suppose another month now will see me home, and I am just longing for the time to come…We had a nice day yesterday, but today it has been raining. Now I think I have said all for the time being, so close with my fondest love and kisses."



Pictured below is Tom's letter from November 5th.
Friday: "Fighting may finish in a couple of weeks"




No comments:

Post a Comment